West/East Health Professions Nexus
The purpose of the WE (West end of San Bernardino/East end of Los Angeles counties) Health Professions Nexus group is to network and engage area health-focused business, schools and partners to support health pathway development and increase the number of K-10 students participating in work-based learning opportunities.
Meetings are currently held monthly at Palomares Academy of Health Sciences located at 2211 N. Orange Grove Ave. Pomona, CA 92408. See calendar for the next meeting.
5 Identified Gaps In Current Pathway Programs:
- Lack of middle school involvement in career pathways.
- Insufficient pathway marketing which would allow students, parents, and businesses to meaningfully collaborate, strengthen, and help develop these programs.
- Inadequate connections between elementary, middle schools and community colleges to create seamless healthcare pipelines.
- Lack of student awareness around lesser known, high demand health professions in the Inland Region.
- Lack of connection between healthcare pipeline students and area employers resulting in a need for work-based learning opportunities
WE Health Professions Nexus Goals:
Create and implement marketing program for middle school feeder schools.
- Identify middle schools and assess their readiness for JUMP.
- Select one middle school to pilot JUMP program.
- Identify other activities for non-JUMP feeder middle schools to be implemented.
Make students are aware of and consider a career in lesser known, high demand health professions.
- Identify lesser known, high demand health career pathways.
- Work with WIBs (Workforce Investment Boards) to prioritize these identified professions according to local health industry demand.
- Identify methods to introduce these health professions into health pathways and develop dissemination plans to expose students to them (i.e. speech therapy assistants).
Identify methods to promote healthcare pathways to students, parents and businesses.
- Parents: Create an infographic tool to inform parents of healthcare pathways in the West end/East end region.
- Students: Ensure that each healthcare pathway has a marketing tool to utilize with feeder schools.
- Businesses: Create a marketing tool for businesses to collaborate, strengthen and develop the healthcare pathways.
Expand and optimize the connection between students and health employers who support the pipeline.
- Invite five new area employers to each Nexus meeting.
Increase connections between area community colleges and healthcare pipelines.
- Identify existing ways (besides ROP) in which we can connect with Chaffey and Mt SAC Community College health offerings.
- Explore existing programs that connect area students to healthcare programs(i.e. articulated classes, dual enrollment).
- Identify the health professions offerings at both Chaffey and Mt SAC.
- Identify one new method of connecting with Chaffey and Mt SAC.
- Identify new ideas to connect healthcare pathway students and Chaffey and Mt SAC.